Pages

Saturday, April 23, 2011

how i keep busy...

chris and i went out to dinner with a couple of his friends from dental school to celebrate the semester being over... we are now on 2 week break (woo hoo)  but while we were at dinner i kept getting asked "what do you do?"  which is a normal question... its how you get to know people, but i sometimes have a hard time explaining what i do to people who are doing things like working as a high powered exec at a big hotel... or are going to dental school to become dentists and much more... what is my answer?  i'm a house wife.  i keep busy grocery shopping, and cleaning the house, and cooking dinner every night (almost every night... but not this week), and doing laundry and fixing things up around the house.  I go walking with my mom most mornings for 30-60 min.  i visit with my mom often and we often go visit my grandma who is in a home... so i keep busy.  i am also taking a class online.  i also have things i do with the youth of the church every week... etc.  i feel fulfilled in doing these things and someday we will add children to the mix and i will be happy be mom and wife... i guess i just feel insecure about it when talking to those who are on a serious career path.

but... i do love staying home... cause then i get to do crafty stuff!! for example... my sister in law stevie is about to have her 2nd little girl and i decided it would be really fun to sew her a quilt for the baby.  i have never sewn a quilt by myself like this before... i have helped my mom in the past and watched her do it... but not done it by myself... i consulted with my aunt joan first... who is the baby and quilt guru... she makes them often and soooo cute... so i borrowed a book from her chose my pattern and bought the fabric.  it took me a couple days and a huge mess but the finished project turned out pretty cute.


i also decided to sew a little lovey... the tiny blanket... my niece gigi always cuddles with one when she sleeps... i also made a little one for gigi for her 1st birthday and when my 5 year old niece amanda saw it she got all excited and asked if i would make one for her too... luckily i have lots of fabric left so i'm going to make one for her birthday which is the end of may.  

i also worked on a project of something to hang over our bed... it has been an empty space and driving me crazy so... i found these frames at goodwill and decided to paint them... then i found the wood letters at joanns and the giant S from joanns... luckily i get a ton of 50% off coupons to joanns so none of these projects get expensive... anyway... i bought some fabric to cover the giant S and now i have something over our bed!  


in case you don't get it the m is for marilyn and c for chris and s for spillers... haha.  chris asked me why it was cSm and i said cause i sleep on the left side of the bed... it just made more sense to have the M above where i sleep. haha.  i'm actually going to use the same brown fabric (and a couple others) to make a new quilt for our bed... the one we have is too hot especially with summer coming up... 

the last project i did is a little chair i found.  i bought a desk the other day to use as my new vanity... it matches the desk i got from my mom's childhood... way exciting... but i needed a chair for it... when i was at opportunity village thrift store last week i found this super cute little chair and thought it would go perfect!  it reminds me a little of the chair/bench my grandma has used while sitting at her vanity.  i painted it with green paint i had left over from painting my bathroom last year and then put this cool black antiquing glaze over it... the pictures dont do it justice... but it looks way cool... i also had to recover the seat and get new padding... the fabric was on sale at joanns... and vwala! 


i'm sure there will be many more projects to come... as i do like to keep busy and crafting is fun cause it makes your house look better... plus i am addicted to thrift store shopping... seriously.  its a good thing our apartment is tiny or else i be buying furniture all the time!! but for now... i'm only hunting for things we need... 



3 comments:

  1. Cool projects! I have some fun stuff coming up when we move to Reno. Maybe I can enlist your help? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so COOOOOOL! I honestly had NO idea you were making blankets. I just happened to start and finish one while your mom's been here. She helped me find matching fabric patterns. She also cut the fabric for me and I stitched it all up with my new sewing machine. It was super fun. I'll have to post a picture of how it turned out on Facebook. It was my first time ever too making a blanket. I made it blue-themed for Will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn....I admire your craftiness! The quilt that you made for Jeff & Stevie's baby is impressive...especially for your first quilt! The monogram decor that you made and put above your bed is clever and stylish. The fabric that you chose for your chair is gorgeous. You did a very nice job. I can't wait to see what you do next.

    No doubt...you keep VERY busy as a homemaker!!!

    ReplyDelete